An expert has shared advice about what pet owners should do if their dog manages to sneak a bite of their Easter eggs. Although humans can, dogs shouldn't eat chocolate as it can be highly toxic and dangerous for them.

It is important to be extra cautious during Easter as it is a time of year when there's likely to be more chocolate dotted around the house. Experts at dog food company have warned of the potential dangers of a dog consuming chocolate and what owners should do if the worst happens during the Bank Holiday weekend.

It’s important that you steer clear of feeding dogs any and all types of chocolates, as the effects, even in small amounts can cause a number of serious issues. These can include increased heart rate, and stress on the kidneys and nervous system.

In some cases - if consumed in high amounts - it can even be fatal. Chocolate makes our furry friends ill because it contains an ingredient called theobromine, which is poisonous when it is consumed by dogs.

It’s important to keep the boxes and plastic containers out of reach of those curious paws, as they will have no problem breaking into them if left lying around.

What should you do if your dog eats chocolate?

Experts have warned that despite due diligence by doing everything to keep dogs away from chocolate, it is still possible for dogs to get their paws on it. When the worst happens, it is important not to panic and contact your vet as soon as you realise.

Make sure you know what type of chocolate, as well as roughly how much of it your dog ate. You should also keep the wrapper and take it with you so you can show the vet exactly what they are dealing with.

By noting which type of chocolate and how much your dog has eaten, the vet will be able to inform you about whether your dog is at risk of chocolate poisoning, and what steps you should take next.

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning

Chocolate poisoning in dogs happens when they consume more theobromine than their system can handle. On average, about 20mg of the toxic ingredient for each kilogram of your dog's body weight is enough to make them feel sick.

But they don’t necessarily have to eat a lot to start displaying symptoms of chocolate poisoning - higher-quality chocolate has higher levels of theobromine, so even small amounts can cause harm to our pups.

If your pooch has eaten enough chocolate to cause chocolate poisoning, symptoms may include:

  • Diarrhoea
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Increased heart rate
  • Rapid breathing
  • Restlessness and hyperactivity
  • Loss of coordination