A football presenter described fan violence at a Flint Town United v Caernarfon Town clash as "a sad day for Welsh football" as she thanked colleagues for their help.

Two fans were left injured following the incident and one was taken to hospital.

The Cymru Premier game was abandoned after 16 minutes after a brawl broke out in the stands and both sets of players left the pitch. Flint were winning 2-0 in the crucial relegation battle before the referee called a halt to proceedings. A probe will be launched by the Football Association of Wales to determine what happened during the game.

Sgorio and S4C presenter Sioned Dafydd was reporting on the game and took to Twitter after the match. She said: "I don't really want to comment on the awful scenes we saw at Flint v Caernarfon yesterday, but I do want to say how grateful I am for wonderful colleagues who made sure we were all safe and ok in what was a scary situation for everyone at the ground. A sad day for Welsh football."

North Wales Police confirmed that one fan was badly injured during the match at Flint's Cae y Castell ground and was taken to a hospital in Aintree, on Merseyside.

Caernarfon Town said: "We wish to thank the paramedics, the St John's ambulance workers and both club physios who rushed to assist our two injured supporters at tonight's match at Flint. Our thoughts at this time are with both supporters and we wish them a full and speedy recovery."

In a statement, Flint tweeted: As a club we utterly condemn the appalling behaviour of a minority of individuals at today's game. We wish the two people who were injured a speedy and full recovery and would urge anyone with any mobile phone footage of the incidents to contact the police.

Cae-y-Castell, Flint Town United's home ground

"We would like to sincerely thank the paramedics and the club stewards for all their efforts in the immediate aftermath. Both clubs will be fully co-operating with the police to identify those involved. This is a very sad day for everyone connected with Flint Town United."

The police were also in attendance at Flint railway station following the game and a 24-hour dispersal unit has been put in place in Flint until 6.30pm today. Appeals have also been made for any witnesses to get in contact with the police to provide a statement.

Read next